Key Highlights of Railway Budget 2016-17
- Gayathri Mathivanan
- February 25, 2016, 12:33 PM
Railway Minister presented the Railway Budget 2016. "This is a budget which reflects the aspirations of each and every member of the Railway's family", said Prabhu, who presented his second budget in the Parliament.
This Rail Budget will play a key role in the country's rejuvenation, said Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Here's a quick recap of all major announcements made by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu.
- No hike in passenger fares.
- Action has been initiated on 139 budget announcements made last year.
- Eliminate all unmanned level crossings by 2020.
- Swacch Bharat: 17000 biotoilets and additional toilets in 475 stations before the close of this financial year.
- Increased quota for senior citizens for lower berths and women travellers.
- 24X7 helpline for women
- Wifi at 100 stations this year and 400 stations next year.
- Enhanced capacity of e-ticketing system from 2,000 tickets/min to 7,200/min.
- All major stations to be brought under CCTV surveillance in a phased manner.
- IRCTC to manage catering service in phased manner. Local cuisine of choice will be made available to passengers.
- Cleaning of toilets by requests through SMS.
- Children's menu, baby foods, baby boards to be made available for travelling mothers.
- GPS-based digital display in coaches for showing upcoming stations.
- Will open cancellation facility through 139 helpline number.
- Bar-coded tickets on pilot basis to tackle menace of ticketless travel.
- 1,780 automatic ticket vending machines to be added to railway stations.
- 1,600 km of electrification this year and 2,000 km proposed for the next year.
- Porters not to be called 'coolies' but be called 'sahayaks' now.
- Aastha Circuit Trains to connect important Pilgrim Centers.
Russia snubs Pakistan, calls off military exercise
Donald Trump finally backs off Barack Obama birth claim
Anna Hazare 'Saddened' to See AAP Ministers have gone to Jail
Russia and US would strike Syria deal within days, says Putin
Woman Alleges Rape by Sandeep Kumar in Sex CD Scandal
Explosion at Davao City night market in Philippines
Powerful 7.1 magnitude quake hits New Zealand
BJP MP refuses US visa after being asked to remove ‘pagdi’
Scorpene Submarine Data Leak Not A Big Worry: Parrikar