Islamic State Second in Command killed in US raid in Syria

  • Gayathri Mathivanan
  • |
  • March 26, 2016, 12:04 AM

 

The US has announced that it has killed a number of leading Islamic State militants including the purported second-in-command.

 

U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter told a Pentagon press briefing the United States believes it killed Haji Iman, a senior leader in charge of finances for the self-declared caliphate, and Abu Sarah, who Carter said was charged with paying fighters in northern Iraq.

 

The US authorities had offered a reward of $7m (£5m) for information about Haji Iman.

 

U.S special forces carried out the strike against Haji Iman, officials told Reuters. The original plan was to capture, not to kill him.

 

Last year, some sources identified Qaduli as the second-in-command of IS, known as "Abu Alaa al-Afari", who was said to have taken temporary charge of IS after its overall leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was allegedly injured in an air strike.

 

"The removal of this Isil leader will hamper the organisation's ability to conduct operations both inside and outside of Iraq and Syria," Mr Carter said.

 

Related News

Scroll Top